In this simulation, students take on the role of a senior project manager and manage a team tasked with developing a new product for an electronics manufacturing company. The primary objectives are to execute a project plan successfully and deliver a competitive product on time and on budget. Instructors can assign up to 7 scenarios that expose students to realistic challenges that project managers often face, especially when working in a highly competitive industry. Some challenges require students to react to unanticipated outside events, such as a staffing crisis, while others require students to respond to strategic changes mandated by upper management. The V3 release adds fresh and relevant features to the simulation experience. The latest options include the ability to schedule scenarios to occur at specific dates and times, plus an all-new Scenario G, where students transition from onsite to a remote work environment. This release offers an improved student interface, with hint alerts and information buttons for a better interactive experience. With two new cover stories to choose from, you can select the most relevant marketplace fit for your course.
Company: Harvard Business Publishing
Approximate price: $15
Playtime: 1 hour 30 mins
Learning objectives: 1. Explore trade-offs among the 3 major project management levers: scope, resources, and schedule.
2. Understand how team skill level, team morale, deadlines, and work quality are interrelated and affected by a project manager's decisions.
3. Analyze the effect of poor-quality work on project outcomes.
4. Understand the importance of appropriately timed changes in allocating resources.
5. React to unanticipated events and managing uncertainty.
6. Set realistic project objectives and minimize scope changes.
Link to simulation home page: https://hbsp.harvard.edu/product/7701-HTM-ENG