The game simulates a competitive market: 5 companies operate with the same pool of clients for 4 game periods.
• Each company team consists of 5 people – the General, HR, Finance, Production, and Marketing Directors.
• All the companies begin the game with the same amount of starting capital.
• The winner is the company whose strategy earns the most profit by the end of the game.
Some of the decisions the players will make:
1. A market operations strategy for each of the 4 periods
2. Sequence and proportion of investment in production equipment purchases, marketing and client services.
3. Whether to diversify sales or focus on one or two market segments.
4. Whether to focus on affordable pricing, investing in the company image or market research.
5. Which customer’s segment to deal with?
What to choose: cost leadership or differentiation strategy?
Company: BIRC Int.
Approximate price: ?
Playtime: 8 hours
Learning objectives: 1. A graphic encounter with the economic consequences of using various market strategies (cost leadership, differentiation, focusing, blue ocean)
2. A clear vision of how the decisions made in different business divisions are interwoven
3. Improved skills in information analysis and decision making when both time and resources are limited
4. Participants enhance several skills: analytical, planning, decision making in lack of resources situation using next tools: Experience curve, SWOT, Scenario planning, Porters generic strategies etc.
5. Awareness of the importance of treating personnel as a strategic company resource
6. Understanding of the connections between P&L and ROI using selected, specific strategies, and learning to make a primary financial analysis of your own strategy
Link to simulation home page: http://bircint.com/business_strategy/